How to set up and LGBTI Staff Network?
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2023 by Ian Thomas — No comments
An LGBTI staff network is a group of employees within an organisation who identify as part of the LGBTI community, and who come together to promote inclusion and diversity within the workplace. The network is typically led by a committee of volunteers who coordinate its activities and engage with other employees and management to raise awareness of LGBTI issues and advocate for positive change.
The primary goal of an LGBTI staff network is to create a supportive and inclusive workplace environment for employees who identify as part of the LGBTI community. This can involve providing a space for employees to connect and share their experiences, as well as advocating for policies and practices that support LGBTI individuals within the organisation.
LGBTI staff networks can also play an important role in promoting diversity and inclusion more broadly within the organisation. By raising awareness of LGBTI issues and advocating for change, the network can help to create a workplace culture that values and supports all employees, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Overall, LGBTI staff networks can have a positive impact on both individual employees and the organization as a whole. By promoting inclusion and diversity, these networks can help to create a more supportive, engaged, and productive workplace environment for everyone.
Here are some steps you can take to establish an LGBTI staff network:
- Identify a need: Firstly, you need to determine whether there is a need for an LGBTI staff network within your organization. This can be done by conducting surveys or focus groups with employees to understand their experiences and needs.
- Build support: To establish an LGBTI staff network, you will need to build support among employees and senior leaders within your organization. This can involve identifying allies and advocates who are willing to support the network and help to promote its goals.
- Develop a charter: A charter is a written document that outlines the purpose and objectives of the LGBTI staff network. This can include details about how the network will operate, what its goals are, and how it will benefit the organisation as a whole.
- Identify leadership and governance: The LGBTI staff network will need to have a leadership team in place to manage its activities and coordinate its efforts. This can involve identifying a chairperson, a treasurer, and other key roles as necessary.
- Establish communication channels: To keep members informed and engaged, the LGBTI staff network will need to establish communication channels such as a newsletter, social media presence, and regular meetings.
- Plan events and activities: The LGBTI staff network can plan events and activities that promote inclusion and diversity within the workplace. These can include awareness-raising events, social events, and training sessions.
- Monitor and evaluate: It's important to monitor the progress of the LGBTI staff network and evaluate its impact. This can involve conducting regular surveys or focus groups to understand the experiences of members and to identify areas for improvement.
By following these steps, you can establish an LGBTI staff network that promotes inclusion and diversity within your organization, and provides support to employees who identify as part of the LGBTI community