Inclusive Language Approaches
Thursday, December 8, 2022
Inclusive language is central to inclusive spaces, yet there are both overt and more subtle challenges holding us back.
When we can talk about inclusion and exclusion, we can begin to understand the challenges and make improvements. Yet, fear of getting it wrong is the overt challenge that holds many of us back. Because language changes, evolving over time, we can find ourselves worried that the words we have to explain what we think and see aren’t the right words.
The more subtle challenge is less about the words and more about the context in which we use them. Stereotypes are biases that we’ve picked up from our environment. These often influence our communications without us realising it. For example, talking about a female engineer, or a male nanny. Adding gender to the role, when we wouldn’t do that for the opposite sex. Subtly reinforcing that these are not normal within our society. Subtle ‘othering’ through our language sends messages on the status quo for different groups, making it more difficult to challenge and change.
What will you learn
This webinar will explore the challenges and barriers to truly inclusive language, sharing top tips on how to confidently get involved in the conversation and improve your inclusive language skills.
- Why inclusive language is needed
- What holds us back, and how to move past the fear
- Examples of how stereotypes shape our language
- Top tips to make your verbal and written communications more inclusiv
Who is this for?
- Anyone who’d like to learn more about inclusive language
- Inclusion and Diversity managers
- HR professionals
- Change makers
- Network leads
Book Your Place
- You may notice that our events booking process looks a little different! If you are unsure about how to book onto a webinar, click here for an instructional video.
- Inclusive Employers Members can join online or dial in to all webinars, accessing up to five places per member, per webinar, for free – please ensure you are logged in to your Inclusive Employers account to see the free ticket option.
- Non-members can book onto these webinars for £89 + VAT per place, per webinar. Members can purchase extra places, on top of the five free already allocated, at a discounted price of £79 + VAT.
- Alternatively, members and non-members can also buy an in-house package for up to 300 people per webinar, to be run whenever you like. Email email@example.com to enquire.
- Please note: we do not supply recordings or slides for our webinars to members or non-members unless there are extenuating circumstances.
- If you have any questions about this event or have any accessibility requirements, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.